Brooklyn: 718.531.9700 | Manhattan/Long Island: 212.696.4LAW
Toll-free: 855.HELD.HINES | Email:

Witnesses You Might Call in Personal Injury Cases

  • Posted on:
  • By:

If you’re involved in a personal injury case, you may want to call on a number of witnesses to help make your point. These witnesses may be able to provide the support you need to win and receive the compensation you deserve. If you’re the defendant in an injury case, a witness may be able to convince the judge that you truly weren’t at fault. Either way, knowing which witnesses to call is very important. Here are some of the witnesses you may need to call in your personal injury case.

Factual Witnesses

Someone who is a factual witness is someone who saw the accident occur and can testify to what happened. They may have been bystanders who were nearby, a friend or family member who was with you, or a co-worker. Ideally, you will want a factual witness you do not know personally and have never had any dealings with so there is no question of bias. A witness who is a close friend, family member, or even a co-worker could be biased for you, even if they are unintentionally so. For example, someone may believe they’re giving a factual statement of the events, but the words they use or even the tone of voice could show favor towards you.

Expert Witnesses

Another type of witness is an expert witness. These professionals can speak to the damages you’ve experienced. They often include doctors, economic experts, life care planners, and others who can speak to the extend of your injuries and how those injuries will impact your life going forward. If your injuries were caused by a machine, you may need to bring in an engineer to talk about faulty design or an electrician to discuss the reasons why the machine could have overheated or shocked you.

These witnesses need to be established, certified experts in their fields so that their testimony carries the appropriate weight with the court. A doctor straight out of med school, for example, may not be seen as having the experience needed to truly discuss the full extend and impact of your injuries.

You Need an Experienced Attorney

While any attorney can represent you in a personal injury case, you want to work with someone who focuses on this area and understands the law inside and out. The attorneys at Held & Hines LLP are dedicated personal injury professionals with years of experience. Contact us today to talk about your case and how we can assist you.

Posted in: Personal Injury, Uncategorized

Areas of practice

  • Board of Education Abuse/Neglect
  • Breach of Contract Cases
  • Broker Commission Disputes
  • Civil Rights
  • Class Actions
  • Closings
  • Condominium & Cooperative Representation
  • Construction Accidents
  • Corporate Formation
  • Defamation & Slander Cases
  • Defective/Hazardous Products
  • Dog Bites/Animal Attacks
  • Employment Law and Misclassification
  • Gig Economy
  • Ice/Snow Cases
  • Insurance Company Bad Faith Claims
  • Knockdown Bicycle Cases
  • Landlord & Tenant
  • Liquor / Tobacco / Lotto Licensing
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Membership / Shareholder Agreements
  • Motor Vehicle Accdients
  • Nursing Home Abuse/Neglect
  • Pedestrian Knockdown Cases
  • Personal Injury
  • Premise Liability
  • Prisoner’s Rights
  • Real Estate Broker Commission Disputes
  • Real Estate Closings
  • Real Estate Litigation
  • Refinances
  • Rideshare: Uber and Lyft
  • Sale of Business
  • Slip & Fall Accidents
  • Trademarks
  • Wrongful Death
Skip to content